Research is integral to the mission and daily operations of ASE. There are three existing research institutes and two more in development.
- The Institute for Empirical Research in Political Economy (IERPE)
- The Institute for African Studies (IAS)
- The Institute for Finance and Management (IFM)
- The Development Research Lab (DRL)
- The Institute of Biotechnology and Agricultural Science (Set to launch in 2018)
Each institute provides students and faculty with the opportunity to actively participate in research projects sponsored by government agencies, international organizations and private corporations. The sponsored projects provide on campus employment to students and financial resources for faculty research and teaching and cultural activities. More importantly, the institutes are the channel through which ASE engage policymakers, private entrepreneurs and development agencies.